Redeemed Gospel Church – Waithaka was given birth by Redeemed Gospel Church Huruma through its outreach team headed by Rev. Monde and Ev. Morris Mwarandu around late 1980s.lt started as a fellowship with very few members who first used to meet at Waithaka Day nursery class under Ev. Morris Mwarandu who later became the pastor, before moving to a rental house near Waithaka gravesite.
Later on, Pastor Mwarandu was reassigned to another place and Mr. Mugeiwa become the pastor. Under him, the church started to experience some leadership wrangles which led to Pastor Mugeiwa quitting the ministry and Pastor Daniel Kamau took over as the presiding pastor.
During Pastor Kamau’s reign, the church experienced a great breakthrough in witnessing, winning souls with the help of Life Ministry class of evangelism under RGC Huruma. The church grew in numbers and at the same time through the help of Bishop Arthur Gitonga the government allocated a plot for the church where it stands today.
On acquiring the plot, the church constructed a muddy structure as a place for worship. The structure was later on destroyed and we raised a better structure using timber offcuts. The church continued to grow very fast and we continued to extend the structure. Several fundraisings were done with a name of setting up a more permanent structure but it was all in vain. Strife and internal leadership wrangles cropped up which made the church to decrease in membership. Many people left the church spiritually hungry, hurt or wounded in their hearts. Others frustrated and discouraged never to go to church again. Despite all that, faithful and loyal members continued to agonize in intercession for the healing of the church.
In February 1998, Zachary Kariuki joined the church as a youth member and teamed up with the intercessory team, holding keshas every Friday. fasting and paying, seeking God for divine intervention. One year later. 1999, he was appointed the assistant Pastor under Rev Daniel Kamau and two years later, in 2001, Zachary Kariuki became the pastor of the church after Rev. Kamau opted to leave Redeemed Gospel church and formed his ministry – Refuge of Hope which he is the founder and the Bishop at the moment
This departure was not a happy one but it was with a lot of opposition and resistance. Some believers willingly chose to follow Bishop Kamau while others opted to remain. The situation was quite volatile full of both verbal and physical attacks which negatively affected the church both numerically and spiritually
2001 to 2008, the church was endeavoring to heal from its past wounds. time, Pastor Kariuki went through tearful moments; losing children and thugs threatening him with guns. During this dark moment, the pastor continued with the same the church and with the church’s little strength combined to encourage the well-wishers we built the current semi-permanent structure.
The pastor was ordained by Bishop Arthur Gitonga in the year 2009 at RGC Huruma and was later on elected to be the area overseer for Dagoretti area in the year 2012 and was consecrated to be a Reverend in the year 2014.
The church in its endeavor to achieve its vision, it could not ignore the challenges in the community and among its congregants namely abject poverty within the community, various ailments including HIV AIDs pandemic and the increasing number of highly vulnerable children. In response to these challenges, the church sought partnership with other organizations who shared its vision. Among those organization so identified are:
- Heroes of Faith CDC: It’s a program that gives help to the most vulnerable children within the community by paying for their school fees since their preparatory to university levels. So far more than 3000 children have benefited and have had their destinies transformed from a state of abject poverty to a better life in the society. Currently the project has 258 children on board and many more have graduated in the past years since 1991.
- Blessed Hope centre – BHC: So far, more than 160 persons living with HIV and AIDS and their families have benefited both in spiritual and health counselling. They have been supported with food supplements and those hospitalized being assisted in settling hospital bills. This partnership has empowered the church to reach out to the most marginalized group within the community.
- Carlyle College: Through this partnership, small business women in the church are currently being trained on financial management with an aim of helping them grow their businesses to higher levels and in the process attain financial freedom.
- Government of Kenya – NACC/TOWA funds: The church was funded for HIV/AIDS awareness campaign within the community both at constituency and district level. This partnership enabled the church to show care and support to Most at Risk Persons (MARPS) i.e. matatu drivers and touts, bar/pub attendants and most dreaded groups like Mungiki by giving them mobile VCT services.
In the year 2013, the pastor was convinced that the church will be better off if it were to be guided through a documented plan. He therefore rallied the church embers towards coming up with a five-year strategic plan to embody his vision. The rigorous exercise was started in 2014 and took almost the whole year to conclude: it involved all the church leaders in all departments and fellowships.
In conclusion, this far the Lord has brought us and it’s our prayer that God will unite us with more partners and well-wishers who are passionately willing to support what the church is doing as we advance the kingdom of God through our 5-year strategic plan.
Statement of Faith
- We believe in the Holy Trinity, the only one true God and that God head consists of God the Father, God the Son and the Holy Spirit; Three in One and One Three
- We believe the Bible to be the inspired authoritative Word of God (2 Timothy 3:16-17, 2 Peter 1:21)
- We believe in the deity of Jesus Christ, His incarnation, crucifixion, divine bodily resurrection, His ascension to glory and His promised second coming
- We believe in salvation through the redeeming blood of Jesus Christ, which is by grace through faith and not by works.
- We believe in Jesus’ power to save, to heal and sustain Christians to live holy and pure lives by enabling of the Holy Spirit.
- We believe in the observance of water baptism after salvation; immersion in the name of God the father, the Son and the Holy Spirit (Mt 28: 19 20) and the Lord’s Supper as commended in the bible.
- We believe marriage is honorable and should be between two adults, a male and a female who agree to be joined together as husband and wife.
- We believe a holy matrimony is between two born again believers of the opposite sex who publicly come and take their vows before the church to live together as husband and wife according to the word of God.
- We believe marriage was intended to be a life covenant between a couple, after death the one who remains is free to remarry: divorce is not acceptable in the church except as commanded in the word of God. (Mal 2:14-16: 1 Cor. 7: 10-15: Mat 5:31,32: 19: 4-9)
- We believe in the baptism of the Holy Spirit with the manifestation of speaking in tongues (Acts 2:4, 10:46, 19:6) and the present ministry of the Spirit in and through the believers as manifested in the ministry gifts and fruit of the Holy Spirit. (Eph 4:11, 1 Cor. 12:9-11, Gal 5: 22-23)
- We believe in bodily resurrection, eternal life for the righteous and eternal punishment for the wicked.
- We believe in the return of Jesus Christ personally and visibly in power and glory to consummate His salvation and judgment; the coming of the new heaven and new earth in which righteousness will dwell and God will reign forever
- Fellowship – Cultivating oneness and togetherness among ourselves in Christ Jesus.
- Integrity – We uphold and practice the truth contained in the word of God and believe in imitating Christ in all areas of our lives.
- Responsiveness – Ever ready to receive and act on God’s instructions and be of help to one another.
- Care and respect – Everybody is somebody. All people are treated equally and are highly esteemed irrespective of their background.
- Progressiveness – Glory to glory advancements. We believe in wholesome development physically, economically, socially and spiritually. Luke 2:52
- Church Leadership
- Redeemed Gospel Church Inc. observes and practices episcopal leadership meaning it’s a leadership based on proven God’s calling on one’s life.
- Leadership term for all leaders other than the pastoral team is two to three years. At the expiry of such a period, a leader can be re-appointed by the pastor or elected by the members